The Q&A Archives: White Bird of Paradise Tree

Question: I just purchased 3 white bird of paradise trees, I was planning on buying more, but someone told me I can divide them. At this point the trees are 4 feet tall.Can you divide these trees? If so, How would I go about doing it? Thanks!

Answer: The bird-of-paradise can be propagated by division and this method will produce mature, flowering plants in one to two years. For best results, divide clumps during late spring or early summer. You can separate the clumps by digging (or unpotting them) and separating the clumps into sections with 4-5 shoots in each division.

Plant divisions at the same soil depth at which they were previously grown. Keep the soil moist until roots are established (at least three months).