The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Clematis

Question: It's my first time growing clematis. It was about 6' tall and now during the winter all the leaves are brown etc. Am I supposed to cut it back or just leave it alone? Thank you in advance! Rod Lancaster, OH

Answer: It all dependso nthe types of clematis you're growing. If it is a large-flowered type (such as Clematis Jackmanii) that bloomed mid summer, then it blooms on new growth and you can cut it to the ground if you like in late winter. If you have a smaller flowered type that bloomed early in summer, then this type flowers on old wood. Prune this type of clematis after flowering back to a set of strong buds about 2-3 feet off the ground. Check with your local nursery if you're unsure which type you bought..