The Q&A Archives: Planting temps

Question: I live in high desert (Prescott AZ) at 5550 feet. At what nite temp can I start putting out veggie seeds and plants? I will be doing most in planters. Think 'coons ate most of the garden. Nite temps now about 40 or less, should have low nite temps for awhile yet. Days this week are high 60 but had snow last week so it can change or get HOT quickly. What plants 1st? When tomatoes & beans? Thanx

Answer: Your last frost date is typically the first of March so you should be able to set your plants out during the first week of March. Both soil and air temperatures will support the growth of beans, peas, squash and tomatoes. You might try caging your plants to keep the 'coons at bay. Best wishes with your garden!