The Q&A Archives: Washingtonia Palm

Question: Our Washingtonia palm is about seven/eight feet tall and has been in the ground for two years. This year the frost turned every leaf totally brown. Do I remove these leaves or leave them on? I realize they will not turn green again but if I remove them the entire tree will just be a trunk! Should we just remove the tree and start over? We live in Ocala FL zone 9 Thanks

Answer: Don't give up on your palm just yet. As long as the growth bud in the top center of your palm is alive, your palm will develop new growth. You can prune the brown fronds off, or just leave them alone until new fronds emerge. I don't think your palm has suffered permanent damage because of the frost, so I wouldn't dig and replace it - at least not now. Give your palm a chance and I think it will recover.