The Q&A Archives: dogs and soil

Question: How can I dispose of dog waste safely? Can I put it in my compost pile? And if I did, is it okay to use this compost on flower beds?

Answer: Composting pet waste in the backyard may seem like a good idea but according to compost experts, the pathogens and parasites within the waste are not properly treated or removed under most compost conditions. They strongly advise that pet waste should never be placed in your home compost bin or directly on your landscape.

With that said, there is an easy way to dispose of dog waste. Dig a hole 2-3 feet deep in your yard in an out of the way place, shovel dog waste into it, cover with sawdust and a lid (I use a piece of plywood). Each time you add dog waste, add more sawdust. The feces will decompose and there will be no odor because of the sawdust and the lid. When you fill the hole (in a few years), cover it with soil and dig a new hole.

Best wishes with your project!