The Q&A Archives: can you identify

Question: I have found a small white 5-petal ground cover flower that is just titled

Answer: My guess is creeping garden phlox. Or, moss phlox. Here are the descriptions:
Moss phlox (Phlox subulata), is commonly called "creeping phlox." Moss phlox forms dense, carpet-like mats. Plants are 4 to 6 inches tall. Its foliage is narrow, stiff, and needle-like in appearance. Flower colors include white, pink, red, blue, and purple. Excellent varieties include 'Emerald Blue,' 'Emerald Pink,' 'Scarlet Flame' (rose-pink), and 'White Delight.' Moss pink is easy to grow. It performs best in sunny areas and well-drained soils. Shearing the plants back after flowering promotes dense growth and some rebloom. Moss phlox is useful for edging beds and as a groundcover for sunny slopes. It also looks nice planted amongst rocks or atop a wall.

Another low-growing phlox is Phlox stolonifera. Its common name is also creeping phlox. (Phlox stolonifera is the "true" creeping phlox.) Plants are 6 to 12 inches tall and bloom in spring. Creeping phlox does best in moist, well-drained soils in partial shade. Excellent varieties include 'Blue Ridge,' 'Pink Ridge,' 'Bruce's White' or 'Ariane' (white with a conspicuous yellow eye), and 'Sherwood Purple' (purplish-blue). Creeping phlox is an excellent groundcover for partial shade. It also does well as an edging plant.

Hope this is the plant in question.