The Q&A Archives: Jade Plant Basics

Question: I have a jade plant that is not faring well. I have tried more light/less light, more water/less water and yet I am unable to nurse it back to health. It would be greatly appreciated if you would provide me with some basic information regarding jade plants -- anything that might assist me in caring for this beautiful plant. Thank you in advance. Christine Fendt North York, Ontario

Answer: You can try repotting your jade plant, being sure the soil is very light and well drained. Jades don't like too much water or wet feet. Place it in a bright room without direct sun. If you're really worried, take a few cuttings from the plant to root. Select 6" cuttings from the tips of the branches, prune off the lower leaves, dip the cutting base in a rooting hormone such as Rootone and place in a moist, soilless mix covered with clear plastic with holes poked in it. Check for rotting every day or so and they should root in a few weeks..