The Q&A Archives: Problem with Rose Bush

Question: The leaves on my climbing rose bush are turning yellow. Am I watering it too much or not enough, or is something else going on?

Answer: If just the older leaves lower down on the plant are yellowing, it may just be a natural shedding and there's nothing wrong with your plant. If both old and new leaves are yellowing, you climber may need to be fed, or you are overwatering. Our weather has been cool this winter (although right now it's a balmy 80F) and when the weather is cool and the roses aren't actively growing, they don't need quite as much water as they do in the summertime. Water deeply once each week during the winter months; more frequently in the summer months. Try feeding your climber now and placing a 3-4 inch organic mulch over the soil beneath the main stems. This will help maintain soil moisture and provide nutrients as it breaks down. Best wishes with your rose~