The Q&A Archives: Bulbs

Question: I brought Canna and dahlia bulbs indoors last fall and put them in soil in containers.I have not watered them but They have been sprouting. I live in Zone 5-6 (ZIp-01915). I cannot take them out for another 6-8 weeks. Should I pinch the sprouts back so that they don't beomestringy? If i do, will the bulbs sprout again when they go out in two months? Thanks for your time.

Answer: The bulbs are sprouting because the temperature is too warm for storage and they think it is spring. I would not pinch out the sprouts but instead begin watering them and set them in a bright window in a cool place. They will continue to grow but should grow slowly if they are kept cool (40-50 degrees). When the weather warms up outdoors you can take the pots outside. Best wishes with your plants!