The Q&A Archives: lawn care

Question: I see a very dark green fertilizer/application in my neighbords yard. it looks like a carpet on the lawn.What is it? do I need to apply it? when? I live in Norman, Oklahoma.

Answer: Your neighbor must have professional lawn service. The mat is fertilizer combined with a sticker substance. As the lawn is watered the fertilizer will dissolve and so will the sticker spreader. The substance only serves to show the applicator where he has sprayed and shows any areas he might have missed. You don't need to duplicate the process, a simple granular fertilizer will do the same thing for your lawn. Use one with a high nitrogen content and your lawn will green up just as quickly as your neighbor's lawn. Best wishes with your turf!