The Q&A Archives: Wilting Hydrangea Flowers

Question: I recently purchased a young potted hydrangea in partial bloom. I repotted him in a slightly larger container and placed him on my front porch. For awhile he was doing quite well, but as of yesterday I noticed that two of his flower clusters (which have not yet obtained their full color) are wilting and losing their form. Today I noticed that they looked even worse. I have been keeping him well watered, and the location - which is sunny but with partial shade - appears to be ideal. I've also been fertilizing him with a soil acidifier. Additionally, I have noticed that some of his leaves are brownish on the edges.

Answer: Sounds as though your hydrangea is going through a little transplant shock. The plant should recover, but you'll probably lose the blooms that have gotten wilty. Hold off on the fertilizer until the hydrangea gets used to its new home and begins putting out new leaves. Then fertilize only lightly; too concentrated a solution will burn the roots of a potted plant. If the petals of the flowers begin to fall off, cut the flowers and part of the stems off, to encourage more growth, and the development of new flower buds.