The Q&A Archives: Bromeliads Blooms

Question: I have five bromeliads that sprouted off a gift bromeliad in a basket in 1994. These five have been growing in various planters around my townhouse since then. Three months ago I potted them together in a large tub (chinese blue

Answer: Bromeliads can be difficult to get to flower indoors, but since you're in Florida, they should do fine outdoors yearround. They will flower once old enough and if you want to experiment, try placing the plant in a plastic bag with an apple to give it ethylene gas for 48 hours. This will sometimes induce flowering. After flowering the mother plant dies within a few months, but daughter babies are formed which when large can be replanted into other pots. For more information on bromeliads, checl out your local Miami nurseries or Stokes Tropicals, New Iberia, LA (800) 624-9706..