The Q&A Archives: Something Eating Scotch Pines

Question: I have three larges established pines in the back of my yard. I believe they are scotch pines. About 1 month ago tips of branches started falling to the ground about 5 to 6 inches. There are so many know I can make a wreath. The middle tree is by far the worst to the point it has lost a substantial part of its coverage to the rear of the yard. It looks like they have been bitten off.

Answer: If the tree looks otherwise healthy; if it is the right color and you see new growth each spring, I suspect a creature is nibbling on your trees. Do you have deer in the area? How about raccoons or squirrels. I suspect a large 4 legged animal is munching on your trees. You can try applying a spray on deterrent such as Deer Away to the tips of the branches to thwart further feeding. Aside from a deterrent, or going to the expense of fencing the entire area, I can't think of another solution to the problem. Wish I had better news for you!