The Q&A Archives: Insecticide use over a pool area

Question: I have a courtyard home & was told by a landscaper if we don't use a granular insecticide the liquid pest control that falls into the pool ALWAYS REMAINS CHEMICALLY ACTIVE, thereby contaminating it. Chlorine doesn't affect it. I have no choice but to spray over the pool because the plants are there. If their statemnt is correct what chemicals do you recommend for pest control(scale,mealy bugs, etc

Answer: I cannot absolutely address the pesticide drift into the pool water but I do know that most pesticides available to homeowners break down in the presence of sunlight and air. I also think that the minute amount that might drift into a pool would be diluted beyond its ability to even be detected in the water. What you might want to do is have the water tested if it is a real concern to you. As for what you can use near the pool that is effective against scale, aphids, mealybugs, etc. yet safe for humans and pets is the botanical Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt) sold as Dipel and other brand names. You can also use Insecticidal Soap against these insect pests. Insecticidal soap is also safe to use near humans and pets and the residue does not persist.