The Q&A Archives: Vegtable Garden Soil

Question: What can I add to my vegtable garden soil for healthy strong plants..Haven't added anything in two years and my garden was terrible last year..Thank You

Answer: The very best thing to add is compost. Composted organic matter helps the soil hold water and nutrients. It also provides a natural source of nutrient as it continues to break down over time. Check with local nurseries and soil yards to see what types of compost are available in your area. You can usually find it by the bag, which is more expensive but easier to handle for small raised bed area, or by the cubic yard, which is less expensive and may be delivered to your home. Spread 4-5" of organic matter over the top of the soil and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. You should see a real improvement in your harvest this year. Good luck with your garden!