The Q&A Archives: Germinating William Guinness Columbine

Question: I have started many Columbine from seeds and have had very good results. But I can't seem to be able to do anything with 'William Guinness'. I've started this bugger 3 years in a row and got nothing! They are slow to come up and usualy die after a few months, even if I keep them in doors. I'm at a loss. I would love to have some of this but doesn't look like it will ever happen. Hope you can help.

Answer: Hang in there! I think your seeds just need a little chilling. Place seeds on the surface of moistened medium in a small flat, then put the flat in a plastic bag in your fridge for 2-3 weeks. Remove the bag and sink the whole flat into soil in a shady spot, and cover the flat with a sheet of glass. Transplant the seedlings when they come up. Since columbine often self-seed very well, you can simplify this process by tossing the seeds in the flower bed in fall, and some should sprout next spring. Good luck!