Answer: Some plants have poisonous parts which can cause problems if consumed; in some plants all parts are toxic, and with some plants, leaves or stems can cause skin irritation in sensitive individuals. As a rule, ornamental plants are not designed to be consumed, either by humans or household pets. To complicate matters, there is a whole list of plants poisonous to animals, but not to humans. The hangtags on the plants are designed to give general plant care and mature plant size, but the tags are too small to include every detail about each plant. If you have pets you're concerned about, there is a great resource about toxic and poisonous plants through the ASPCA. Here's the website:
You can print out a list of plants to avoid and take that to your garden center when you're shopping for plants. This step will make your garden safe for your pets.
Best wishes with your garden!
Q&A Library Searching Tips