The Q&A Archives: Oil Sprays for Fruit Trees

Question: I've read you shouldn't apply a sulfur-based spray within three weeks of an oil spray. Does this rule hold true with the newer light horticultural sprays such as "Sun Spray"? My window of opportunity for spraying here in Vermont is quite small as you know!

Answer: That's a good question. I'm not absolutely sure. Since Sun Spray is a petroleum-based product, like the earlier dormant oils, it could well have the same restrictions. However, there are new cottonseed-based horticultural oils which may not have those restrictions. "Oil Away" Insecticidal Spray is one example. It is sold by Gardens Alive (ph# 812-537-8650, e-mail: You might contact them directly and inquire about both spray products. Sorry I couldn't be of more help--good luck with the trees!