The Q&A Archives: Vine for pavilion

Question: Could you recommend a perennial vine for an iron garden pavilion? The structure is app. 10-12 ft.high by 10-12 ft wide? I live in zone 8. An evergreen vine would be nice, but not necessary. Also, how many would I need? Please, no honeysuckle! :)

Answer: There are lots of vines from which to choose. Here's a short list, and all are evergreen: Allamanda cathartica (Brown Bud Allamanda), flowers yellow and Rose;
Antigonon leptopus (Coral Vine) pink flowers; Aristolochia littoralis (
Calico Flower, Pipevine); Bignonia capreolata (Cross Vine) orange-yellow flowers; Campsis radicans (Trumpet Creeper) orange-Red flowers; Clerodendrum x speciosum
(Java Glory Vine) red flowers; Clytostoma callistegioides (Painted Trumpet) flowers lavender with purple streaks; Cryptostegia grandiflora (Palay Rubber Vine) flowers deep lavender; Congea tomentosa (Woolly Congea) white or pink bracts.

All will grow in full sunshine and all will tolerate partial shade. You will only need one vine for complete coverage in a few years; two if you want faster coverage. You can plant one on each side in this case. Hope one of these is just right for your garden!