The Q&A Archives: Recommend Perennials For Soggy Creekside Land

Question: We live along the north shore of Rice Creek here in Fridley, Minnesota. About 40 ft. of the far end of our backyard is flooded in the spring and fairly soggy throughout the growing season. We'd like to plant a perennial that can withstand these conditions, and we're not picky at this point. Any recommendations that would bring uniformity and color to what now appears to be a weedy marsh would be appreciated. P.S. I was going to try Chinese Lanterns this year, but I'll wait to hear from you first.

Answer: I would skip the Chinese Lanterns. Try instead some of these. All are perennial, hardy to your zone, and should thrive in the wet conditions: Acorus, Astilboides, Caltha, Eupatorium, Filipendula, Iris ensata, Iris pseudocorus, Kalimeris, Ligularia, Lobelia, Lysimachia, Petasites, Polygonum, Rodgersia, Tovara, Tradescantia, and Trollius. All are available from Shady Oaks Nursery at 1-800-504-8006 or, visit the website at