The Q&A Archives: Perennial Flowers for Florida

Question: I live in South Florida and would like to have a flower garden outside. However I am on a budget & can't afford to plant annuals every year. Are their any flowers can I plant only once that will last & bloom all year long in the Florida sun?

Answer: There are quite a few plants to choose from but I would suggest ixora, oleander, repeat blooming roses, hibiscus, Sweet Acacia (Acacia farnesiana), Pineland Allamanda (Angadenia berterii), Lantana (trailing or weeping)(Lantana montevidensis), Yellow Allamanda (Allamanda cathartica), and Shining Jasmine (Jasminum nitidum). For even more ideas, visit the University of Florida's gardening website. This publication discusses all the perennials for your gardening region: Best wishes with your garden!