The Q&A Archives: Keeping Cut Flowers Fresh in Heat

Question: I'm getting married in August and I'm concerned with which flowers to choose. I was wondering about sweet pea flowers for the bridesmaids... please give me your advice and please offer some suggestions as to which flowers would hold up best. Janie Conner Chicago, IL

Answer: I assume you are buying the flowers and not growing them yourself. In that case, you can use almost any flower you want as long as you prepare the flowers as follows: TWO DAYS in advance, pick the flowers in a cool part of the day. The morning is the best time. Strip off as many leaves as you can. Put in a pail of lukewarm (body temperature) water to which you have add a commercial preservative (get this from a florist). Leave them there from 1-3 hours. Then place the flowers in a cool environment for the remainder of the two days. Either the refrigerator or a cool basement will do. Sweet peas may be hard to find that late in the season. They are a cool season plant. But you should be able to find all kinds of other flowers such as lilies, cosmos and daisies. Best wishes with your wedding!!.