The Q&A Archives: privacy bushes

Question: our property line has a large tree, a couple of
smaller trees & a utility pole. That makes it difficult to put up a fence between our house and the neighbors. I was thinking about putting in butterfly bushes, but my kids are terrified of bees. Is there any attractive bushes that can be used as a provacy screen that does not attract bugs- does not have to grow more that 5 ft or so. Thanks.

Answer: Butterfly bushes will lose their leaves in the winter so they may not be the best choices for a privacy screen. I would choose something that is evergreen and something that doesn't flower - or has only a few small flowers. That way you won't have hoards of bees in your garden. Yew, arborvitae, holly, Leyland cypress and viburnums are all evergreen and some are fast growing so they make perfect privacy screens. Perhaps one of these suggestions will work in your landscape. Hope so!