The Q&A Archives: Planting seeds indoors

Question: Our last frost is typically around May 15th.
In the past I have either planted too early and the plants got leggy or I planted toom late and had to buy my plants.
I would like to start tomatoes, Basil, Fennel, and some parsely. I typically set the seeds on my windowsills which face south. I dont have room for any type of alternate lighting.
I live in zip code 21093.
Thanks for your help.

Answer: Most seeds can be started about 6 weeks before your last frost date and can be set outdoors about 2 weeks after your last frost. If May 15 is your usual last frost, add 2 weeks to that, making your target date of June 1 for setting your plants outdoors. Count back 8 weeks and according to my calculations, you should start your seeds indoors April 1st. You can fudge a few days in either direction and still have healthy seedlings ready to go outdoors when the weather warms in June. Hope this information helps!