The Q&A Archives: Suggestion

Question: Many of the plants sold at The Home Depot have incorrect information on care for the Arizona Zone 8 environment. Can you add to the Plant Libaray Information the best location to plant? For example, morning sun and afternoon shade or full sun or part sun to full shade.

Answer: Having personal experience with trial and error in the Phoenix area, I agree with your observations! The safest thing is to plant exotics (anything not native to Arizona) in a site that is protected from hot afternoon sunshine during June, July and August. If a plant tag says full sun, unless it is a palm, citrus, rose, or other heat lover, I give it morning sun and afternoon shade. This holds true for hibiscus, bird of paradise, gardenia, etc. Hope this helps!