The Q&A Archives: Growing Herbs and Flowers in Containers

Question: I live in the Denver area with only a small deck facing South & West, and I'm looking for herbs and flowers appropriate for growing on my deck.

Answer: There are so many choices of flowers and herbs that are suitable for containers that you can have lots of fun trying different combinations. Lavender, basil, thyme, sage, dill, chives, lemon verbena, mint, oregano, rosemary, and parsley can be combined with flowers such as nasturtiums, violas, zinnias, portulaca, scaevola, geraniums, and dahlias.These herbs and flowers need full sun, which means at least 6 hours a day. Choose an all purpose potting soil that contains some humus (not just peat moss) and moisten the soil. If you are using clay pots, soak them in water prior to planting so they don't draw moisture out of the soil.

Given your climate, the plants won't survive outdoors in containers during the winter, so you can consider your plantings as an annual garden, or repot the rosemary, oregano, sage, and thyme and bring them indoors for the winter. Be sure to keep records of what you grow and how you combine the herbs and flowers to help you plan for next year. Good luck.