The Q&A Archives: Grass for horse pasture

Question: I live in North Central Texas, about 37 miles north of Dallas/Ft. Worth. Every winter I plant Winter Rye in my one acre horse pasture and it fills in nicely. Is there some type of grass that I can plant for summer grazing that spreads faster than bermuda and that can withstand our hot, humid summers?

Answer: With some help from your agricultural extension agent, you can custom-blend a mix of annual and perennial legumes and grasses so that you may not need to reseed ever again! With a mixture of plants, your horses will have a better balance of nutrients from the pasture, and hardy perennial plants especially help build up humus, which will further increase the nutrient content of the pasture. Your extension agent can be reached at 565-5537. Good luck!