The Q&A Archives: Isatoma & Pink Chinz Thyme ground covers

Question: I have both of the above in my yards. Do I fertilize annually? I haven't yet, and they've been in the ground for a couple of years. However, the Thyme has patches of no leaves. Also what is the watering rule for both ground covers.

Answer: Both Isatoma (blue star creeper) and thyme are happy without fertilizer but you can feed with a general purpose garden fertilizer such as a 10-10-10 if you're feeding your other landscape plants. Blue star creeper is relatively carefree: thyme sometimes develops bare or brown spots. You can cut these out and the thyme will creep into the empty spaces. Usually the bare areas are caused by a fungal disease - either weather related or a sign that the plants are getting too much water. Water deeply once each week and allow the soil to dry out between waterings. This should result in healthy growth. Best wishes with your groundcovers!