The Q&A Archives: crested bear claw fern

Question: I recently purchased this plan at a grocery and would like to know how to care for it. It is a large plant (fronds to 2 feet long) and was a large $ investment. I thought I'd be able to find it in the Sunset Guide, but no luck!
Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

Answer: I think you can find it in Sunset Western Garden Book under its botanical name: Dryopteris crassirhizoma. These plants produce striking, handsomely cut and lacy 36-inch fronds which can add texture and visual rhythm to the summer garden. In spring they unfurl in shades of brilliant chartreuse ?before shifting to a deeper glossy green. You can grow it as a houseplant but it sheds its fronds in the winter and goes dormant until spring so an outdoor site is probably best. Like all ferns, it likes a woodland setting: humusy, moist soil, and lots of shade. Hope this answers all your questions!