The Q&A Archives: Cannas

Question: Every year they start out growing great and pretty,but by the end of July or the first of August the leaves are starting to turn brown and they barely bloom their flowers. I haver them planted in a bed with Elephant ears and the ears are in front of the Cannas. Is it possible the leaves are not getting enough sunlight due to the shading by the Elephant ears. They all get the monring sun too.

Answer: Cannas will grow in the shade but they flower best in full sun, especially if you remember to deadhead as the flowers fade. If you have another garden spot, try planting your cannas there. This way they won't have to compete with the elephant's ears and can bask in the sun. I think you will see a big difference in their performance if you move them. Enjoy your beautiful garden!