The Q&A Archives: lemon tree

Question: My in-laws have a great OLD lemon tree. I planted seeds from its lemon w/ Superthrive & Shultzes in a pot with a glass over it & have it under flourescent lights all day. Two trees grew & are about 3

Answer: Now's the time to set your new little trees outdoors. Start by putting them out in a shady spot and gradually move them into a sunnier and sunnier spot until they are getting all day sunshine. Then find a permanent spot and plant your little lemon trees. They will take a few years to mature before you see flowers, but they should develop fruit for you eventually. Citrus trees like moist but well draining soil and your little trees can be fed with a liquid houseplant fertilizer until they are about 2-3 feet tall. At that time you can feed them with a fertilzier formulated for citrus trees. Enjoy!