The Q&A Archives: Jerry Baker's Lawn Recipe

Question: I just read the question about using coke, ammonia, etc. to break up thatch. I've heard this one , too! It's a combination put together by Jerry Baker. It's also good for jump starting your compost pile. I can't find the "recipe" any more, so it you can locate it, I'd be most appreciative. Can you locate it?

Answer: I had a little trouble tracking down the exact recipe for dethatching a lawn. Here is a formula for fertilizing; perhaps this is also reputed to break down thatch. Mix a can of beer, a can of Coke, 1 cup of ammonia, 1 cup Joy dish soap, and add water to fill a 20 gal container, and spray on the lawn. He adds antiseptic mouthwash for funguses, etc.

I don't have any experience with this method, so I can't vouch for it. If you search the internet (I used Infoseek) using the words "Jerry Baker", then a sub-search with "lawn", you'll get some interesting web sites. His books are also available from internet bookstores.