The Q&A Archives: Dividing Clivia

Question: I was fortunate enough to just inherit a huge clivia plant and I was wondering if I could separate it?

Answer: Your plant sounds like a beauty. Yes, you can divide clivias by separating the divisions in the spring. Remove the plant from its pot and shake off the old soil to reveal the base of the divisions. Pull apart as many divisions as you wish, then repot them separately in soil enriched with leaf mold or compost or peat moss, with some bonemeal added. Pack the soil firmly but not hard, and for the next 2 or 3 months, keep the plants in a warm location and water only enough to keep the soil from drying out. Once the plants are well-rooted, fertilize them every 2 weeks with dilute liquid fertilizer from spring to fall. Good luck.