The Q&A Archives: Potting veggies and fruits

Question: I rent my house and want to plant a garden but I also want to be able to take it with me when I move. What type of tomatoes can I plant and what size of pot would I need to grow them while still being able to get a decent amount of crop off one plant?

Answer: Most vegetables will adapt to growing in containers. If you choose determinate type tomatoes (as opposed to indeterminant types), you can have a good harvest without having to place a trellis as support for the vining branches. Determinate type tomatoes have a bushy growth habit and produce one main crop rather than lots of tomatoes over a long period of time. Your plants will need at least an 18 inch deep container to accommodate the root system. Best wishes with your tomatoes!