The Q&A Archives: Mud

Question: Hi, I am a very new gardener. I just bought my first house and the snow has melted and my backyard is mud. What can I do to keep the mud from spreading this spring when the rains come?

Answer: I'm not sure how to address the issue. If the water table is high, it will take your yard some time to drain and there's not much you can do. If the water table is not that high, perhaps your soil isn't draining well because it is compacted. A core aerator will help to loosen clay soil. Or, you may need to run trenches around the perimeter of your yard to facilitate drainage. I ended up digging up my yard to run drainage. I dug trenches about 2 feet deep, put down 6 inches of stone then perforated pipe, another 6 inches of stone to cover then cover with dirt to grade. I ran the pipe (Really a tube) to the wood behinde my home. This fixed my issue. You may have to run yours out to the street to drain your property. Hope this information helps!