The Q&A Archives: Florida Vegtable Garden

Question: We want to have a vegetable garden in our S. Fla backyard. When and how should we start preparing the soil? The growing season (I think is Oct -April?)

Answer: You can mix leaves, grass clipping, and other organic materials into the soil. Then give them a few weeks to decompose and plant the garden. By repeating this process and using leaf mulches, which are also mixed in at the end of each season, you will build your soil over time. It may be necessary to add some extra nitrogen if there is lots of undecomposed organic matter in the soil. I would also suggest you consider purchasing compost from a local soil yard. These are usually reasonably priced and really get your soil off to a good start. Growing cover crops in areas to be planted next season is another effective approach. Thanks for the question!