The Q&A Archives: soil prep

Question: I am just now starting to break soil in a new garden. the soil is very dark and has plenty of worms. my question is since I just spread cow manure on it and am tilling the soil do I need to put any lime on it also? I have some,but I think that it might mess up the ph {just quessing on that)since by eye-sight alone looks ok.

Answer: I don't think it is necessary to add lime. Just till the area to get it ready for planting. Most plants are happy in a wide range of soil pH. If you begin to see some off color foliage, you might want to spread some lime on the area - but wait until the fall months. Lime takes a while to work its way down and mellow the soil so applying in the fall will give it time to do its magic before next spring's planting season. Best wishes with your new garden!