The Q&A Archives: mounds of ddirt appearing on my lawn along the curb

Question: Mounds of dirt have been appearing a few feet apart along the curb of my front lawn. No tunnels appear between these mounds. Each day at least one new one appears and they are following the curb. Before it snowed there were at least 20 mounds each a few feet apart. After a 12 inch snow fall and it melted there were 3 more. No one seems to know what is doing this. Can you help?

Answer: Wow! I'm as mystified as you are, especially since there are no tunnels between or around the mounds of soil. If you have raccoons in the neighborhood, they may be digging - or voles (field mice). Birds sometimes excavate holes to find food. Wish I had a solution! Hope you eventually find out what might be causing the mounds of dirt!