The Q&A Archives: What should I plant?

Question: I live in Riverside,CA. I would like to plant a flowering boarder that would bloom all year. Low maintenance.

Answer: Perennials and annuals each have their own flowering season so you will want to plant a variety so you will always have something in bloom. Easy care plants are usually native to the area. Some shady area suggestions include Aristolochia californica (California Dutchman's Pipe), Asarum caudatum (Wild Ginger), and Lilium humboldtii (Humbolt Lily). Annuals and perennials require a bit more maintenance, but the following plants are all good choices: Aconitum (Monkshood), Arum, Begonia, Caladium, Campanula, Clivia miniata (Kaffir Lily), Coleus, Lily-of-the-Valley, Dicentra (Bleeding Heart, Impatiens, Lobelia, Polygonatum (Solomon's Seal), Primrose, Vancouveria and Pansy. Hope these suggestions are just right for your border. Enjoy!