The Q&A Archives: St.Augustine grass

Question: My St. Augustine grass has a lot of thatch and weeds of all sorts.Is there a way to save it,or do I have to replace it?

Answer: Whether you need to start over or not is hard to say. If most of the weeds are perennials it would be best to spray them and then restart with a new sodded area. I suggest you take samples from the various weeds to your County Extension Office for them to identify. Then a decision can be made as to the best product(s) to use for the weeds you have, when to apply them, etc. The best weed control is a dense, healthy turf. Do all you can to develop a good, dense turf (regular mowing, deep infrequent watering and moderate fertilizing) and over a year or two you will eliminate the vast majority of weeds in your turf. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!