The Q&A Archives: Feeding Fruit Trees

Question: Last year I bought a peach or apple tree in a plastic tub. I did bring it in during the winter, here in Cinty its starting to get warm so I put outside. It is starting to bud and I was wondering what kind of food fruit trees use. All the leaves and fruit fell off in the fall, I hope I did not kill it.
Mr bill

Answer: Plants in containers have to be carefully fed. Because their roots are contained they are vulnerable to fertilizer burn. You probably won't need to feed your tree but if you find the leaves are a pale color you can use a half strength dilution of a water soluable houseplant food (such as Miracle Gro). Apply every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. This diluted food and frequent feeding will supply the nutrients your tree needs without the possibility of burning the roots with too much.

Good luck with your tree!