The Q&A Archives: Planting tulip bubls

Question: I have quite a few tulip bulbs that I didn't get planted in the fall. They were stored in a brown bag in my cold garage for the winter. They have started to sprout a little. Can I plant them now? We have had some warmer weather and lots of rain. The ground is thawed deep enough now, but we will still get freezing weather. I live in zone 5. Thanks so much for your time!

Answer: I don't think there is much hope for the bulbs. Tulips need about four months of chilling in order to grow and bloom. During this time they develop roots so the bulbs can support the foliage and flowers. Although yours are beginning to sprout, they have no roots and no hope of support for the tops. You can try planting them in hopes that they will develop roots this year and then foliage, which will restore the spent energy to the bulbs. If this happens, they will grow and bloom right on schedule next spring.