The Q&A Archives: Lawn weeds

Question: I have more weeds than lawn, I put Scotts weed and feed on last year and hardly noticed a difference. I think I need something more aggressive, and when do I put it on?

Answer: Once your lawn has turned into more weeds than grass, the best course of action is to completely renovate it and start over. Thatching or plugging can be done now, or anytime through about the middle of October. If you dethatch, rake out all the debris and then reseed your lawn and keep it watered. The new grass seed will germinate in 7-10 days and your lawn will be renewed by the end of the summer. If you aerate instead of dethatch, you can leave the plugs on the lawn. They will dissolve with rain or sprinklings from the hose. Best wishes with your lawn!