The Q&A Archives: Unpredictable growth in garden

Question: I have east-facing garden in front of my house, about 4 X 11. It gets sun until abt noon, then it is shaded rest of the day. 4 oclocks have taken over & I'm trying to get rid of them. There's a small patch of iris in the center, and I've had moderate success w/dianthus, clematis & coralbells. Everything else dies. I live in very arid conditions. What are my options? I like lots of color & variety.

Answer: I think when conditions are difficult the best things to plant are natives. They adapt to the growing conditions because they have adapted for hundreds of years. Here are a few Texas Native plants for you to consider:

Cardinal Flower; Inland Sea Oats; Cedar Sage Beautyberry; Lyre Leaf Sage Mountain Sage; Pigeonberry Thoroughwort; Prairie Phlox Purple Winecup;
Red Columbine White Winecup; Violet Katie Petunia; Turk's Cap River Fern.

Best wishes with your garden!