The Q&A Archives: replacing shrubs

Question: I have replaced 3 heleri(sp) Holly bushes 3 times in15 years. They are foundation plants with good drainage and sun. The other plants are the same kind and do well. I replaced the soil last time. Why is this happening and what other plants might work with these hollies and do better? Thank you for your help. I am in Rocky Mount, NC

Answer: I wonder if the shrubs are exposed to reflected heat and hot afternoon sun and that's why they are not thriving? If you replaced the soil, it drains well and you keep your plants watered all year around, there's nothing else that should affect them. Why not try viburnums, abelia, inkberry or yew? They might be more tolerant of the growing conditions. Best wishes with your landscape!