The Q&A Archives: Butterfly Nectar Plant

Question: I have a plant someone gave me that I'm not sure of the name. It's part of the salvia family(I think)and has red blooms but it's not the annual grows large and has small bell type blooms in clusters at top of plant can you tell me what it is or maybe send me pictures of butterfly plants native to Florida

Answer: Salvia leucantha, Mexican Bush Sage, is native to Florida and commonly used in butterfly gardens. But there are dozens more. Pentas lanceolata has bright red flowers, Stachytarpheta mutabilis (red porter weed), Hamelia patens (fire bush), and Salvia coccinea (tropical sage) are all Florida natives and all possibilities for the plant in question. You may have to do a web search to find photos, just to be sure which one most closely matches your plant.