The Q&A Archives: Heighth of Red Hubrid Hibiscus

Question: How tall does a red double hybrid hibiscis grow? Must I use growth inhibitors to keep them at 5'?
When I checked the internet, it shows that the Celia has several heights.
Thank you

Answer: Celia double typically grows about 6 feet tall so I think you can simply prune or shear to keep her within your 5 foot maximum height. Hibiscus can tolerate heavy pruning or shearing and seems to flower even more abundantly when cut back several times during the growing season. I do my major pruning in January and mine begins flowering in March. Then I prune it back lightly during the rest of the year. You can do this, too, cutting it down hard in December or January (by as much as one-third) and then by 6-12" every 3 months. This should keep your Celia in bounds and still blooming beautifully. Enjoy!