The Q&A Archives: cold damage

Question: Central Florida had a very cold frost, my plumeria and fiscus plants have been damaged. They both have branches that are wet and drooping. Do I trim these off, they will have no branches left, are these plants going to survive and can I help them.

Answer: At this point, no action is the best action. Your plants were stressed by the frost and they need time to recover. Pruning them back now will just add more insult to injury. Although they don't look very attractive, give them a few weeks to recover and regain their strength. If they are going to develop new growth, they will do so when they are ready. After new growth begins you can prune away the winter damage. If no new growth appears within the next 4-6 weeks, the plants will probably not recover and will need to be replaced.

Best wishes with your plants!