The Q&A Archives: thin grass field with all kinds of weeds

Question: This is my first time having to take care of the lawn. Right now it has several brown spots. The grass is thin with weeds, clovers, and crabgrass. It has not been taken care of for a long time and I dont know where to start. what do i need to do first?

Answer: I'd start by eliminating the weeds, either by digging or using a weed killer product. Wait 2-3 weeks and then overseed the entire lawn. Your best defense against weeds is a thick, healthy lawn so put your lawn on a regular mowing, watering and fertilizing schedule. Mow to keep it about 2 inches high - mow often enough that you take off only one-third of the height each time you mow. Water deeply once or twice a week to encourage deep root growth. Feed in April, June, September and late November. I've found that garden centers usually have just the right type of fertilizer on sale at just the right time to apply it so watch for sales. Best wishes with your lawn!