The Q&A Archives: Strange mold on my indoor seed garden

Question: I recently started some plants from seeds and used some top soil and mulch that I had leftover from last year. There is some gray or white mold now (looks like mist) and I wonder if the dirt was

Answer: The stringy mold is simply a sign that the organic matter in the soil is breaking down and decomposing. It's a natural thing and nothing to worry about. It feeds only on decaying organic matter and as long as your seedlings are healthy, there's nothing to be concerned about. You can stop or slow the process by either allowing the top of the soil to dry out between waterings, or by sprinkling a layer of sand over the soil's surface. If your plants were outdoors rather than in a greenhouse, the top of the soil would dry out naturally and you would not see the mold.